Skip main navigation
South Staffs Water history
- 1853 South Staffordshire Waterworks Company is formed
- 1858 Opening of the works in Walsall. Wednesbury is the first area supplied.
- 1860 Tipton and West Bromwich receive water supplies.
- 1862 We take over Dudley Waterworks. Netherton and Oldbury receive water supplies.
- 1864 We take over Burton Waterworks.
- 1875 Cannock area supplied.
- 1893 An average of 7 million gallons is supplied daily. The first reservoir at Sedgley is built.
- 1903 Pipe Hill pumping station is built.
- 1929 We take over Kinver Waterworks.
- 1940 The Ministry of Health instructs that all water supplies must be chlorinated.
- 1953 Blithfield Reservoir, near Rugeley, is opened by HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
- 1962 We take over Tamworth Water Works
- 1975 A widespread drought almost causes Blithfield Reservoir to dry up.
- 1991 We become South Staffordshire Water Plc.
- 1996 Blithfield Education Centre is opened by Bill Oddie.
- 2004 The demerger of South Staffordshire Group Plc takes place, creating South Staffordshire Plc.
Back to top