Skip main navigation
If temporary access is needed to our mains network, we hire out standpipes specifically for this purpose. Applicants are reminded that it is an offence under Section 174 of the Water Act 1991 to make any connection to the network without prior authorisation and agreement. A fine of up to £1,000 for each infringement, together with the confiscation of any equipment used for this purpose, may be imposed otherwise.
We hire standpipes for use within the operational boundary only (view supply area).
- Where can I hire a standpipe from?
- The control, issue and return of this type of equipment will be managed through Central Stores, Green Lane, Walsall. Tel. 01922 638282, during normal working days, 7.15am – 2.30pm Mon to Thu, 7.15am - 2.00pm Fri. Closed each day between 12.00pm and 12.30pm.
- Are there restrictions on where a standpipe can be placed?
- In accordance with the hire agreement, we shall enforce the requirement for each user to state the intended location(s) and the purpose of hire for the duration for which the licence exists. Users who hire the larger 40mm standpipes must be able to give the specific area in which they intend to operate in order that we may allocate a number of extraction points suitable for that purpose.
- When 20mm units are hired, you must indicate the location(s) for the proposed use of the standpipe, down to localised street level.
- If a 40mm standpipe is required, a written request must be submitted at least five working days prior to the required day of use to our Network Performance Management Unit.
- Once all information has been received, an analysis will be carried out on the impact on the distribution system. We will advise you if authorisation will be given, or of an alternative location that could be used. If authorisation is given, we will advise Central Stores that a standpipe can be issued once payment has been received. We will advise you of the option to hire a 20mm standpipe if authorisation for a 40mm standpipe is not given.
- Will you show me how to use the standpipe?
- Users of 40mm standpipes shall also make available either a nominated person as their representative, or the actual user of the equipment, to undergo a training and awareness session if required. A record of this session will be maintained by us.
- How much does it cost to hire a standpipe?
- All units attract a non-refundable administration charge of £58.00 + VAT.
- 20mm units are hired at a cost of £58.00 a week + VAT, together with a refundable deposit of £297.00 (providing no damage has been caused.) There is no volumetric charge or restriction over use.
- 40mm units are hired at a cost of £356.00 a week + VAT, again with no volumetric charge. All 40mm units attract a refundable deposit of £548.00 (providing no damage has been caused.)
- Please note that all that needs to be paid initially is an administration fee and a deposit. Details of these charges can be found on page 10 of our Miscellaneous Water and Developer Services Charges.
- Multi annual agreements are available for both sizes of unit – prices on application.
All prices are effective from April 1st, 2012.
Back to top