Skip main navigation
- I currently don't have a water meter for my business. Is this likely to change?
- We promote fair methods of charging for all non-household customers by continuing our compulsory metering programme.
- We have adopted the policy of metering non-household properties primarily in order to follow the guidelines issued by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). These guidelines have been issued as a means of delivering the Government's objectives following the Water Industry Act 1999. The guidelines were issued by the Secretary of State to the Director General of Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat).
- "The Government is committed to encouraging water charging policies that take account of the need to protect the environment. The Government recognises that a measured charge is the only tariff option which encourages customers to economise on water use. It is therefore the aim to meter all non-household customers." The Defra guidelines further state: "Business customers, whether commerce or industry, use water services in the course of their operations. It is reasonable to expect such customers to meet the full cost of their services."
- The scheme has been approved by Ofwat and therefore complies with the Water
Industry Act 1999. Any non-household customers who still pay their water
charges based on the rateable value of the property will be contacted to
arrange for a meter to be installed on the supply. If you wish to change to
metered usage, prior to us contacting you, please call 0845 45 67 063 to
book an appointment.
Back to top
Do it online: