From 1 April 2017, many businesses in England (including charity, public sector and not-for-profit organisations) will be able to choose which company provides retail services for their water, sewerage and trade effluent, much like you can now in the energy and telecom sector. This part of a Government initiative called Open Water.


What does this mean?

South Staffs Water will remain responsible for the supply of the water to your premises. It will be the same water from the same pipes before and after switching.

However, eligible businesses will be able to choose a retail provider for services such asmeter reading, billing, customer services and additional related products and services.

Non-eligible businesses – such as those which are mainly used for domestic purposes – will remain customers of South Staffs Water, along with household customers.

How do I know if my business is eligible to choose a new retailer?

If your premises are used only for business and your existing  retailer of water and/or wastewater services is based in England, it is likely you will be eligible to switch retailer from April 2017.

This means you will be able to choose which company supplies your retail services, including meter reading, billing, customer services and additional related products and services.

If your business is eligible you should have already been contactedby South Staffs Water and informed of any amendments you may need to make to your current billing arrangements.

You can find more information about the opening of the market and the benefits to you on the Open Water website

What happens if my business is not eligible to choose a retail provider?

If the main use of your property is domestic, rather than business, and you have not been contacted by South Staffs Water, you will remain a customer of South Staffs Water.

Where can I find out more?

You can find out more about Open Water and the criteria you need to meet to become eligible to switch retailers by reading our FAQS or visiting


If you are an existing or prospective water supply licensee please click here for more information.