My water meter
Finding my water meter
Most non-household properties have a metered water supply. You can check by looking at your bill.
- If your customer reference number starts with MC then you have a water meter.
- If your customer reference starts with a UC then you do not have a meter.
As a rule if you live in a property that was built after 1990 it's likely there will be a meter.
Don't have a water meter?
Click here to find information about switching to a meter, and see if you would be better off.
Water meter locations
If your property has a water meter fitted then it’s good to know where it's located.
Once you know where your meter is, you'll be able to take meter readings regularly. This will help you keep track of how much water you're using so you can monitor your bills and spot possible leaks.
Most water meters are fitted near the outside stop tap which can normally be found in the public footpath or verge - close to the boundary of your property. Look for a small metal or black plastic cover in the ground.
Sometimes it's not possible to install a meter outside. This is usually because the supply pipe is shared with other properties. In these circumstances we'll carry out a survey to see if we can fit the meter inside, where the supply pipe first enters your property, such as under the kitchen sink.
If you think you have a meter, but can’t find it please contact us.
Typical meter locations
- It’s likely to be near our main outside stop tap which can normally be found in the public footpath or verge - close to the boundary of your property
- It’ll be located under a small metal or black plastic cover in the ground. You might need a screwdriver to lift the lid.
- You may find a polystyrene cover in the box; this is to protect our stop tap and meter from frost
- If you share a supply with your neighbour you may find our meter has been fitted on your property – it’ll be under a cover in the ground similar to the ones in the footpath
- It’s likely to be right by where the water enters your property and where your inside stop tap is
- Check under your kitchen sink
- Check in a toilet
Click here to tell us your meter reading online, your need to register or log in to My Account
Tell us your meter reading for a more accurate bill.