Help & Advice

How can I prevent burst pipes?

Follow our easy steps to avoid the misery of burst water pipes this winter.

Avoiding frozen pipes

  • Ensure water tanks and exposed pipes are properly insulated. Do not insulate beneath water tanks in the loft, as this will prevent warm air getting to them and could cause freezing.
  • Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe.
  • Find your property’s inside stop tap and make sure you can turn it off, if necessary. Inside stop taps are usually located under the kitchen sink, or  in a downstairs toilet or cupboard. If you cannot turn the tap, you may have to call a plumber for assistance.
  • Have your boiler serviced.
  • Minimise draughts and close doors and windows in unheated parts of the property.
  • Leave the heating on low when you are away and get a friend or neighbour to check the property regularly.
  • If a property is going to be unoccupied for long periods, turn off the water at the inside stop tap and consider draining down the system so there is no water left in the pipes.
  • Keep bottles of drinking water for emergencies.

What to do if a pipe freezes

  • If you have no water, first check with neighbours – if they have water then you may have a frozen pipe.
  • Check pipes for signs of splitting – any damage will mean the burst pipe will leak when it thaws out.
  • If the pipes all appear to be undamaged, turn off taps.
  • Starting at the end nearest the tap, SLOWLY thaw the pipe using hot water bottles or towels soaked in hot water. DO NOT USE a direct flame or blowtorch as there is a risk of explosion, if sudden heat is applied following a freeze. Only switch appliances back on when you’re sure the system is thawed.
  • Once the system has thawed, slowly turn the inside stop tap on. 
  • Check pipes again, and if you’re happy they are not damaged or leaking, switch on the boiler or immersion heater.

What to do if a pipe bursts

  • Turn off the inside stop tap  and boiler.
  • Use towels to soak up escaping water or put a bucket beneath the burst.
  • Switch off any electrical items at the mains. Remove plugs from sockets where water may have got into them.
  • Turn on taps and flush toilets to drain the system.
  • Once drained turn the taps off.
  • Call an approved plumber. It’s a good idea to keep a number for one handy.

If you’re in any doubt about what to do, call an approved plumber.

Who's responsible?

We’re responsible for the underground pipes that carry water up to the boundary of your property - normally where it meets the footpath. Property owners are responsible for all pipes on the property including all internal plumbing. For more information click here.

If you’re in any doubt about what to do, call a plumber. To find a plumber go to: or call 0333 207 9030.

Rate this response:

Related queries

Still not found your answer?

If you can't find the answer to your question, you can contact us and we'll endeavour to respond as soon as possible

Contact South Staffs Water