How can I save water in the kitchen?
Washing machines and dishwashers
- Wait until you have a full load before using your dishwasher or washing machine.
- If you swill off the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher this will add to the total water you use.
- When buying new machines choose water efficient models. You may also save on energy costs, as they are likely to be more energy efficient.
- Use a bowl when washing up instead of a running tap. You can save about five litres of water per wash in this way.
- Wait until you have enough dirty dishes to fill your bowl.
- Wash and prepare food in a bowl rather than under a running tap. This water can then be recycled for use in the garden.
Waste disposal units
Waste disposal units use a lot of water to wash away food waste. You can make better use of this waste, and save lots of water at the same time, by putting your fruit and vegetable peelings on a compost heap.
- Running a tap until the water is cold wastes about 4 litres each time. Keep a jug of water in the fridge or collect this water and use it for something else, such as houseplants, or garden watering.
- Only fill the kettle with the water you need, ensuring the element is fully covered.
Fix dripping taps
A dripping tap can waste enough water in a day to fill a bath
- Replace tap washers when they become worn.