What is compulsory metering?
It is compulsory to have a water meter fitted in cases where a substantial amount of water would be used, over and above that of a normal household.
These cases are:
- If you use a garden sprinkler or unattended watering devices
- If you have a bath with a capacity greater than 230 litres
- Certain types of showers
- If you have a swimming pool or garden pond with a capacity greater than 10,000 litre
If any of these apply to you, please contact us.
All newly built properties are automatically metered.
There is no charge for the cost of installation where meters are fitted compulsorily, but you will not be able to revert to unmetered charges once it's installed.
As part of our commitment to promote fairer billing and respect the environment, and in line with Government guidelines, we have a policy of metering all non-household properties.
If you still pay based on the rateable value of your property you will be contacted to arrange for a meter to be installed.
There are a number of benefits to switching to a meter:
- You only pay for the water you use
- Taking regular meter readings will help you better understand how and when you are using water
- They can also help identify leaks on your pipework
- You’ll be able to reduce your bill further by installing water efficient appliances
- Using less water is helpful to the environment
There is no charge for the cost of installation where meters are fitted compulsorily.
If you would like to change sooner, please contact us