When should I notify you about plumbing work?
Typically you must notify us before carrying out work on any water system installations in connection with:
- Erection of any new building or structure
- Extension or alteration of a water system in non-domestic premises
- Material change in use of any premises
- Bidet - ascending spray/flexible hose
- Bath - larger than 230 litres
- Pump/booster drawing more than 12 l/min
- Reverse osmosis unit
- Water treatment unit producing wastewater discharge or requiring regeneration
- RPZ valve or other mechanical device for preventing backflow prevention in Fluid 5 or 4
- Garden watering systems - unless hand operated
- Water systems laid outside buildings less than 750mm or greater than 1350mm below ground
- Automatically replenished ponds or swimming pools of more than 10,000litres
For more information see Regulation 5 of the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999. This identifies the main areas of installation/alteration which water suppliers need to be aware of in advance.