Where do biofilms form?
Bathrooms and the kitchen can be perfect environments for biofilms to grow. They will form more readily on rough surfaces, such as limescale.
Common places include the inside of cold taps where they can form a slimy or jelly like deposit which hangs from the end of the tap.
They can also be found:
- Around the base of tap fittings
- In showerheads or on shower curtains
- On tile grout
- In drains or plugholes
- In toilet cisterns or bowels
- In washing machines, particularly around the powder draw or door rim
- In refrigerator drip trays or ice making machines
- In drinks vending machines
- In dehumidifiers