Record how much water you use for Water Saving Week
South Staffs Water is asking customers to record their household water usage as part of its activities for Water Saving Week (20 -24 March).
The water company is running a short online survey to find out how often customers carry out household activities such as showering, using the dishwasher and watering the garden.
The results will be used to help understand how customers use water; raise awareness of the need to save water and help the company plan for future water needs.
The online survey takes just minutes to fill out and customers who complete it before 31 March will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 Love2shop vouchers.
Steve Colella, Senior Water Delivered Analyst for South Staffs Water, said:“For most of us turning on the tap is something we do every day in our homes, without giving it much thought.
“On average each of us will use 130 litres every single day for cooking, cleaning, washing and drinking.
“We want people to use Water Saving Week to think about how much water they are using at home and in the garden. Filling out the survey is a great way of doing this and helps us plan for future water needs too.
“The more people think about and value their water – the easier it becomes to reduce the amount of water that is unnecessarily wasted every day. Saving water can also help reduce your water and energy bills.”
Easy ways to save water include:
- Wait until you have a full load before using your dishwasher or washing machine
- Wash and prepare food in a bowl rather than under a running tap. This water can then be used in the garden
- Only fill the kettle with the water you need, ensuring the element is fully covered
- Keeping showers to five minutes or less will ensure you don’t let water run to waste. To help you keep track use a showertimer
- Leaky loos are one of the most common causes of unexpectedly high water use but aren’t easy to spot as the water just dribbles away down the pan, so they often go unnoticed. A single leaky loo can waste up to 400 litres of water a day – the equivalent of five full bathtubs
- Remember to turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. This could save up to six litres of water a minute
South Staffs Water is offering free water efficiency devices to all its customers. To claim yours visit https://www.south-staffs-water.co.uk/household/saving-water/free-water-efficiency-devices
- Waterwise’s Water Saving Week is dedicated to raising awareness of how to save water by using it wisely. It includes challenges and tips based around daily themes – saving water at home, in the garden, at work, at school and in the community. For more information on Water Saving Week visit http://www.waterwise.org.uk/