Making a complaint

Making a complaint

We aim to provide you with an excellent service, but sometimes things can go wrong. We take complaints very seriously, so if you are not happy with our service we will do our best to put things right.

Making a complaint

If you would prefer for someone else to contact us on your behalf to deal with a complaint, we will need to have written agreement from you and the other person first. If you appoint a solicitor or land agent, we will be happy to liaise with them on your behalf, but please be aware that we will not be responsible for any costs this may incur.

Step 1

If you have a complaint please call us in the first instance. Our overriding aim is to resolve your complaint as efficiently and effectively as possible and if possible we will provide an immediate response.

While we don't provide sewerage services, we bill and collect charges for used water and surface water drainage on behalf of Severn Trent Water so that you only receive a single bill.

We will answer complaints about sewerage charges, but if your complaint is about your sewerage pipes or services, please contact Severn Trent Water.

Complaints about your bill 
0345 60 70 456
Complaints about your water supply (Freephone)
0800 389 10 11
Minicom for all complaints
01922 618025

If you are not happy with the outcome of your call, you can write to us:

Customer Relations
South Staffs Water
Green Lane

We aim to resolve complaints within 5 working days, but from time to time there can be reasons this may take a little longer. Under our Guaranteed Standard of Service, if we fail to respond to your written complaint within 10 working days, we will automatically issue you with a payment of £30.

You can also contact us via Facebook or Twitter, or give us a call for a quick response to your query, as we aim to reach a resolution at first point of contact.

Step 2

We hope that you will always be satisfied with our response, but if not, please write to our Service Delivery Team Manager at the same address.

Step 3

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with at step 2, or if it is still unresolved after 8 weeks, you can request an independent review from CCW, which represents water and sewerage consumers.

If you are unsatisfied with CCW's response, you can take your complaint to step 4.

Consumer Council for Water
0300 034 2222
Consumer Council for Water (Fax)
0121 3451010

Consumer Council for Water
23 Stephenson Street
B2 4BH


Step 4

If you remain dissatisfied following CCW’s efforts to resolve your complaint, you may be eligible to refer it to the Water Redress Scheme known as WATRS.

WATRS is an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme to help resolve the very small number of customer complaints where the customer remains dissatisfied after the company procedure and CCW's involvement. WATRS provides an alternative to going to court or a tribunal.

WATRS decision is binding on the water company.

Following notification from CCW, you can make an application, free of charge, via WATRS website or you can email to ask for an application form to be sent to you.

Guidance notes are also available on the website or you can request that a copy be sent to you by calling 0207 520 3801.

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
International Dispute Resolution Centre
70 Fleet Street

The scheme's commitments are:

  1. Commitment to provide WATRS free of charge to customers
  2. Commitment to support the principles set out in the ADR Specification
  3. Commitment to respect the independence of WATRS
  4. Commitment to be bound by decision of the WATRS’ adjudicator if accepted by customer and to implement decision as required by Scheme Rules
  5. Commitment to co-operate with and have due regard to the recommendations of the ADR Panel
  6. Commitment to provide accurate and reliable information to and co-operate with the WATRS’ adjudicators


Ofwat is the Government department responsible for making sure that the water industry in England and Wales provides customers with a good quality product and efficient service at a fair price.

Ofwat also deal with some cases, including:

  • Those about water and sewerage companies’ powers to lay pipes on private land
  • Concerns that the water companies are allegedly breaking their licence conditions or their main water supply or sewerage duties
  • Complaints about anti-competitive behaviour under the Competition Act 1998, for example colluding on pricing or bidding for contracts

For more information visit