Debt awareness week: 7 days, 7 ways to get help with your water bill at South Staffs Water
South Staffs Water is supporting Debt Awareness Week (26 January to 2 February) by encouraging customers who are feeling the pinch and struggling to pay their water bills to get in touch – rather than suffer in silence.
The water company is supporting StepChange debt charity‘s 7 Days, 7 Ways To Deal With Debt campaign, by reminding customers of seven ways they can get help with their water bill.
Rachel Barber, Customer Service Director for South Staffs Water, said: “January and February can be the main time of year when people struggle to afford their day to day spending, yet water and other bills still have to be paid for."
“Frustratingly 41% of people in debt wait a year before seeking help – yet once they have sought help, 90% of people feel reassured.”*
“At South Staffs Water we do as much as we can to keep bills affordable for our customers. Our water bills are among the lowest in the country.”
“We also offer a number of options to people who are struggling to meet payments, ranging from flexible payment arrangements and special tariffs to free water efficiency devices. Our advice is if you are struggling, seek help - don’t just suffer in silence.”
The water company has come up with seven ways its customers can get help with their water bill:
- Flexible payment arrangements – customers can choose to pay their water bill in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments to help spread the cost over the year.
- Special tariffs – if you are on a water meter and receive certain income related benefits, you may be eligible for tariffs which cap how much you pay for water or wastewater
- Water Direct - this scheme, which is run in partnership with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), helps customers pay bills and arrears in affordable amounts if they receive Income support, income based Job Seekers’ Allowance, Pension Credit or Employment Support Allowance.
- Go online – visit My Account and register to manage your account and bills online before July 2015 and you could win a free iPad mini. As well as helping you to manage your account, you will also find the website contains a wealth of information to help you get the most from your water supply.
- Request a meter – water meters can usually be installed for free in most homes. Because customers only pay for the water they use many people find their bill is cheaper.
- Request free water efficiency devices – South Staffs Water has teamed up with SaveWaterSaveMoney to offer customers free water efficient devices designed to help customers save money on their water, wastewater and heating bills.
- Independent advice - Alternatively, customers can seek independent help and advice from their local Citizen’s Advice Bureau, or the Step Change Debt Charity, which is running a 7 days, 7 ways email programme to help people tackle debt throughout Debt Awareness Week. For details visit www.stepchange.org or call 0800 138 1111.