Stay WaterSafe for World Plumbing Day

11 March 2015

South Staffs Water is using World Plumbing Day on 11 March to remind customers to stay “water safe” when it comes to employing a plumber to carry out work.

Recent research has revealed a startling 70% of UK households still don’t check the credentials of a plumber before letting them start work.

And many rely on first impressions, with more than half (54%) considering personal appearance is more important than qualifications.

The research has been carried out by WaterSafe – the UK’s leading online search facility which aims to raise plumbing standards by helping customers find their nearest qualified plumbing and heating professionals.

Caroline Maddox, head of communications for South Staffs Water, said: “Thanks to television programmes like Rogue Traders we’re all familiar with the after effects of employing people who are not qualified tradesmen.

“World Plumbing Day offers us a great opportunity to remind people that professional help is out there and can be easily accessed via the WaterSafe site.”

Visitors to the WaterSafe website simply type in their postcode to find a list of qualified plumbing and heating specialists.

Alternatively, it is possible to search the name of the plumbing business to find out if they are registered.

All the businesses registered have specific training in Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws, which ensure there should be no risk from poor installation or sub-standard materials that could cause contamination of the drinking water supply.

Approved plumbers also issue a ‘work completed’ certificate, which provides a defence for property owners who are challenged by a water supplier enforcing the Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws.

WaterSafe estimates bodged plumbing jobs have cost the nation a whopping £2.6 billion in recent years predominantly on account of unqualified, unethical traders.

For more information visit

When should I call a plumber?

You, or whoever owns the property, are responsible for:

  • The supply pipe, which runs from the boundary of your property into the building
  • Your own stop tap, either located in your garden or inside your house.
  • All the plumbing inside the house.

If you experience a problem with any of this pipework or fittings, you should call a plumber.