Extra help

Other organisations that can help

Charitable trust

This independent charity is run by South Staffordshire plc, which owns South Staffs Water. It assists customers facing genuine difficulties or distress with the cost of meeting their bill and arrears.

Visit the South Staffordshire Water Charitable Trust website

National Debtline

If you want independent advice you can contact the National Debtline Monday to Friday 9am - 9pm, and Saturday 9.30am-1pm.

National Debtline
0808 808 4000

Calls to 0808 are free.

Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB)

The Citizens’ Advice Bureau helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers. Find your nearest branch.

Citizens’ Advice Bureau
03444 111 444

Calls to this number cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers.

StepChange Debt charity

StepChange Debt Charity is the UK's leading debt advice organisation. Previously known as Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) they have over 20 years' experience of helping people become debt free.

StepChange Debt Charity are experts in helping people to manage and repay their debts. They offer tailored advice and practical solutions to help you make a fresh start.

StepChange Debt charity
0800 138 1111

Calls to 0800 are free.

If you're struggling to keep on top of your money, a simple debt check will give you straightforward advice based on your circumstances.  Get online help with debt remedy at the StepChange website.

Money Advice Service

Free and impartial money advice, set up by government.

  • Advice and guides to help improve your finances
  • Tools and calculators to help you keep track and plan ahead
  • Support in person, over the phone and online
Money Advice Service
0800 138 7777

Calls to this number cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers.

Pension Credit

If you are a pensioner and are on a low income you may be entitled to Pension Credit. To find out more call the Pension Credit application line.

Pension Credit (freephone)
0800 99 1234
Pension Credit (textphone)
0800 169 0133

Calls to 0800 are free.

Working Tax Credit

If you are earning a low wage and you have a family you may be entitled to Working Families Tax Credit. To find out more call them direct.

Working Tax Credit (Lo Call)
0345 300 3900
Working Tax Credit (textphone)
0345 300 3909

Calls to these numbers cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers.

Benefits calculator

The Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) has teamed up with national poverty relief charity Turn2us to provide a benefits calculator and grants search tool which water customers in England and Wales can use to identify ways to bolster their income. Customers can access the tools on CCWater’s website.
Other support

It may be worth contacting your local authority’s health and social care services department and JobCentre Plus. They won't be able to give you any money to pay your water bill but they might be able to offer help and advice.

If you require additional help from us, you may also need help from your gas and electricity/water suppliers.  Water/energy companies offer schemes and support similar to ours, for example, password schemes or getting bills in large print/Braille.

Please tell us if you are receiving benefits or have approached other organisations for help so we can give you some breathing space.
If Social Services, the Department for Work and Pensions or JobCentre Plus are helping you, we will give you some breathing space by putting a hold on your account while they look into your case.